Starting an architecture school can be overwhelming, especially if you’re not sure what you’re getting yourself into. Here are five tips that will help you get through your architecture program in the most positive and productive way possible.
1) Invest in a planner
If you’re anything like me, the last thing you want to be doing at 3 AM on a Sunday night is trying to figure out what’s for dinner tomorrow or which day your next assignment is due. I’ve learned that it’s worth investing in a planner or weekly calendar so that you can always have your assignments, deadlines, and other important tasks are written down. This way you’ll never have to worry about forgetting something or not knowing when something is due. Plus with all of the other things going on in college, having a planner will help you feel organized and less stressed. And who doesn’t want that?
2) Plan ahead
1. Take your time with each project and don’t rush through them.
2. Find a good balance between work and socializing.
3. Be kind to yourself and others around you so that you can maintain a healthy environment to work in.
4. Try your best not to worry about the future and focus on the present moment so that you can be fully immersed in what’s happening right now instead of worrying about what could happen later on down the line. 2
3) Always be prepared
Always be prepared – as an architect, you will face a lot of deadlines throughout your career. So, it’s important to always plan ahead and make sure you have everything you need in order to get the job done on time. This applies to everything from having all your tools ready for a design studio class to bringing snacks for an all-nighter studying for a midterm or final exam.
*Stay focused – it’s easy to get distracted when working on projects that require long hours of work, but try not to let yourself be sidetracked by other things.
4) Get organized
Students often struggle to balance their schoolwork with the demands of being an adult. Keeping track of your assignments, projects, and deadlines can be difficult. Being organized is key to a successful architecture school experience.
1) Check your email inbox at least once every day. 2) Keep a calendar on your phone or computer so you know what’s coming up in the week ahead. 3) Stick to your weekly schedule as best you can, but be flexible when you need to be.
5) Do what you love, love what you do
You will have to sacrifice some things in order to succeed in architecture school. But if you love what you do and work hard, these sacrifices will be worth it.